Monday, October 4, 2010

birthday weekend

This weekend was Jonathan's birthday weekend and what a fantastic weekend it was!  Friday we had planned to go out for dinner then come home and watch Iron Man. But I decided to surprise him and make dinner myself! I cooked one of my favorite dishes, chicken rotel.  This was the first time I have made dinner for him [crazy, I know], so I was super excited!

I don't know if any of you have ever eaten chicken rotel before, but it is DELICIOUS and really easy to make! All you need is:
1. 3 or 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2. a can of rotel
3. a can of cream of chicken soup
4. half a bell pepper
5. half a onion
6. 1 pound of velveeta
7. butter [or margarine]
8. one package of spaghetti

Then all you have to do is cook everything separately and mix it together in a large bowl! Then you put it in a baking dish and bake it at 350 until the top gets crunchy! Here are some pictures of the meal coming together.





 chips, salsa, and queso for appetizers :)


the finished product! served with Sister Schubert rolls!

Even though his actually birthday was on Sunday, I went ahead and let him open all his gifts Friday night.  There was no way I could wait two more days to give them to him!
 His Gifts


 First gift: his all time favorite movie, Shawshank Redemption, on blu-ray. 
This is also the movie we watched on our first date :)

My roomie, Fallon, being festive for the bday bash :)

All his goodies: X-Men trilogy and Shawshank Redemption on blu ray, a book-The Pacific, & a gift card to his favorite store, Best Buy.


For his "birthday cake" I got us Gigi's cupcakes. I know most Memphians are fans of Muddys, but not I! I've had both and Gigi's are SO much better! And BIGGER! They have two locations: East Memphis & Germantown.  All the flavors are so fun and delicious. Give them a try, you won't be disappointed :)

Our cupcakes: Banana Cream Pie, Midnight Chocolate Chip, & Tiramisu.

He was SO surprised! That boy LOVES chocolate cake!

Fallon & I split the Banana Cream Pie & the Tiramasu. Both were awesome!

Enjoying those cupcakes!

Saturday we had a delicious lunch at one of my favorite pizza places, Garabaldi's.  My friend Linsey and I were reminiscing one day this week about our freshman year of college. We talked about all the bazillion times we ate at Garabaldi's and this made me crave it!  Until today I hadn't had it in over a year and it was as great as I remembered! We got a half mushroom [for me] and a half sausage [for him].  

We spent the afternoon at the Memphis Zoo.  It was the perfect day for it, the weather was awesome! This was our first zoo day together and we had a blast!

 I always love watching the meerkats!

 Hippopotamus! My favorite!



 Jon & the rhinoceroses: his favorite.


Another rhino picture!

After the zoo we stopped by Jerry's for a snow cone! YUM YUM!

We both got half strawberry/half cherry.

That night Jon, Fallon, and I went to dinner and a movie.  We had dinner at Bonefish Grill then saw The Social Network.  I'd heard great reviews of this movie all week and was excited to see it if would live up to all the hype.  I was really impressed with this movie.  I am a Facebook junkie and it was really interesting to see how this site [that I spend HOURS on] got started.  If you love Facebook as much as I do, I recommend checking out this film. 

Dinner at Bonefish.

Sunday was Jonathan's actual birthday.  He turned 24 :)  We started the day as we do every Sunday, at Highpoint Church, then we headed to Oakland for lunch at Jonathan's parents.  The Griffins are GREAT cooks so I always look forward to lunch at their house! We brought Fallon with us and I was so excited for her to meet Jonathan's family.  We had a great lunch and a great time visiting with everyone! 

I was SO excited it was finally cool enough for BOOTS :)

Fallon & the birthday boy before church.




 Birthday cupcakes!

Jon & his dad.


 Our delicious lunch!

This is Jonathan sister's dog Izzie!

Jonathan & his sister, Elizabeth.

That night Jonathan, Fallon, & I watched Shawkshank Redemption and ate left overs.  It was the perfect lazy night to end such a wonderful weekend!
----------------------------------------------------------------
Jonathan,
I hope you enjoyed this weekend as much as I did.  You are so wonderful and deserved the best birthday ever.  On your next birthday we will be MARRIED! Can you believe it?! I am so happy God chose me to be your wife.  I am so blessed He gave me such a kind, considerate, selfless, God loving, handsome man to spend the rest of my life with.  And I can't believe after all of these years that YOU are the one.  Jonathan Griffin: the HOT football that was my friend in elementary school, junior high, and high school.  You are just as wonderful now as you were then.  You have such a kind heart and you always put others needs above your own.  Thank you for encouraging me, praying for me, loving me always, and being my BEST friend.  HAPPY  BIRTHDAY, my love!  I can't wait to spend EVERY birthday with you for the rest of our lives :)

No comments: