Sunday, December 18, 2011

Running

Let me start off by saying I've ALWAYS hated running. Even in my jr. high/high school days when I was playing sports & super active. I've always associated running with pain & punishment. I only ran when I was forced to by my basketball coach or cheer coaches. Plus I have asthma...

The past couple of years I've gotten in good shape & become a little cardioholic. Just never running. Walking, yes. Biking, yes. And I could stay on the elliptical all day. However; I never ran. Until about two weeks ago....

I was getting really tired of the elliptical. I was bored with it, plus the ones at our gym kinda hurt my feet.

This was also right after the St. Jude marathon. After seeing hundreds of facebook statuses about the race, I thought I might give running another chance & maybe even overcome my hatred for it. And I knew if I was going to start running the time is NOW. I am in the best shape I've ever been in my entire life, so I have no excuses not to try. I started slow. First just one mile, then two...

Then this past Thursday night I did this...
3 miles in 29:32. THREE MILES, people!

 I know the pace was slow, but for a girl who hated running with a passion two weeks ago this is a HUGE deal. I have never in my life ran 3 miles without walking. Heck, I don't even think I've ever ran 2 miles without walking. I was SO proud of those three miles!

Then yesterday afternoon this happened...
FIVE miles & in a decent time too! WOW! Maybe I can be a runner?! :)

Y'all, I think I'm getting addicted. I want to go FARTHER & FASTER! These five miles are just the beginning. They were just the motivation I needed to know I CAN DO THIS.

My goal: run a half marathon in 2012.

I'm super excited that my cousin Christin has offered to run my first half with me. She ran her first one last April in Nashville &  I'm so excited to share this experience with her.
This is Christin after finishing her first half! She's so happy! :)

Yesterday Christin & I decided we are going to run the Country Music Half Marathon in Nashville this April! We're going to make it official & register this week!

 I'm nervous/terrified to even think about running 13.1 miles, but I really want this. In two weeks I went from running one mile in 10:33 to running five miles in 48:36. Something I NEVER imagined I would be able to do! Now I have a little over four months to turn these 5 into 13.1!

So, let the training continue! And any runners out there please share any advice or tips you have!

7 comments:

Sunkissed and Southern said...

Yay that's awesome and you're fast!!! Sometimes I get bored and struggle with what to think about though, even with music. I think I need a new playlist.

Delta Daisies said...

yayyyyyyyyyy!!!!!

mollykcash said...

I've NEVER been a big runner either but I've started running the river trail on Mud island because it's my escape outside but i've been lacking motivation. Thanks for the post... now I feel some motivation!!

Tamara said...

This is awesome! I've always hated running, too... and am so jealous of those who can! You go girl!

July said...

I hate running, but I would really like to start! you should totally do a post on tips to get into running...how to start slow!

I love this post - definite motivation!

P!nky said...

Girl I am soooo with you! I was a soccer player in college and still play now, and extra running was ALWAYS a punishment...ewww!!!

whoohoo for your new goal! Get it girl!!! can't wait to follow your progress! Good luck!

xoxo

Natalie and Lee said...

WOW that is awesome! I need to start running again!! This motivates me:) Glad I came across your blog... enjoying catching up! :)