Thursday, January 12, 2012

Quinoa

I told y'all on Sunday that I purchased some quinoa at Whole Foods this weekend.
 Well, this week I made two quinoa side-dishes and they were SO good! So, let's talk about quinoa!

What is quinoa?
It is a highly nutritious carbohydrate and even though its cooked like a grain it is actually a seed.  It is a complete protein, which means it contains all the amino acids that are necessary for our nutritional needs.
Quinoa kind of reminds me of a cross between couscous & brown rice. It is light, fluffy, and slightly crunchy! Jonathan & I both love the texture!

So let me share with you the yummy quinoa recipes I tried this week!

1. Quinoa & Black Beans
We loved this because with the quinoa, the beans, & the corn, it's like three sides rolled into one!

You can find the recipe here: All Recipes.

2. Broccoli Cheese Quinoa Casserole 
Oh, this one is SO good! Creamy & cheesy! 

You can find the recipe here: Eating Well, Living Thin.

Both recipes were easy to make & SO delicious. And the leftovers were great!  I'm excited to try some more quinoa recipes & I hope I've convinced you to give quinoa a try. I'm SO glad that I did :)

13 comments:

P!nky said...

I LOVE Quinoa! Haven't cooked it before but love it when I eat it.

I always forget how to pronounce it though ;)!

xoxo

July said...

I love love Quinoa! it's such a nice way to eat a pasta like dish without all the carbs!!!

Cristie Young said...

Thank you so much for sharing V! I just purchasing some the other day, and was at odds for what to make with it. You saved the day!

Cristie

Page Twenty-Two said...

I've never tried quinoa before but that black bean dish looks delicious!! I love cous cous AND brown rice so I would probably LOVE this - great post!!

Meg {henninglove} said...

oh broccoli and quinoa cheese casserole, i think that might be my lead into quinoa. never tried the stuff so starting gradually.

Brittany said...

Those both look delish! Think I need to try quinoa!

SimplyHeather said...

Wow that looks fricken yummy (:

Jill @ ACharmedLife said...

This is my first time stumbling upon your blog and it is absolutely adorable!! Not to mention that I love quinoa and am always am looking for new ways to prepare it. Thank you for posting such a great looking recipe.

Looking forward to stopping by again tomorrow to what you have in store :)

Rachel said...

I cannot wait to try these recipes out! I think you've gotten me over my fear of trying quinoa...these look delish! How's the juicing going?? BTW--hope you have a wonderful birthday. Can't wait to hear all about it, friend!

Rachel said...

I cannot wait to try these recipes out! I think you've gotten me over my fear of trying quinoa...these look delish! How's the juicing going?? BTW--hope you have a wonderful birthday. Can't wait to hear all about it, friend!

Ashlee @ They Lived Happily Ever After... said...

Don't you just LOVE quinoa!?! It is a staple for me...it's gluten free and so tasty. We mix a little tomato sauce to the first recipe and it is awesome.

Samantha said...

I love quinoa! The black bean and corn recipe would be perfect for my boyfriend and I to try because we almost always incorporate those two sides together!!! Nice!

Rose said...

Great recipe ideas, thanks for posting! xx

The Londoner