Saturday, January 7, 2012

Sidedishes

When we cook dinner, Jonathan is in charge of cooking the meat {chicken, steak, fish, etc} & my job is the side dishes. I tried three new side dish recipes this week and loved them! I want to share them with y'all!  

1. Sweet Potato Creme Brulee
{The original recipe from Skinnytaste.com is for 14 servings. I adapted it for 2 servings. Adjust to your needs}


What you will need:
1 LARGE sweet potato or 2 medium sweet potatoes
1/4 cup of skim or 2% milk
1 tablespoon of light butter
seasonings: salt, cinnamon, & nutmeg
2 table spoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons of chopped pecans {optional}


What you will do:
1. Cook sweet potatoes until soft. {cut it cubes and boil until soft, about 10-15 mins then drain}
2. When potatoes are cooked and soft, combine them with milk, light butter, and seasonings {salt, nutmeg, cinnamon} and mash or puree until smooth.
3. Place mixture in a small baking dish or 2 individual ramekins.
4. Sprinkle the top with the brown sugar & pecans.
5. Place in a 350 degree open for about 10 mins, don't let top burn. Let cool for 5 mins before serving.

*Makes two servings. Each serving is 120 calories.

Here is a picture of how mine turned out.
Delicious! And my husband could not stop raving about it!

2. Mashed Cauliflower
What you'll need:
1 head of cauliflower
a few tablespoons of milk
1 table spoon of light butter
salt
pepper
garlic salt
parmesan cheese


What you'll do:
1. Steam or boil cauliflower until soft.
2. Put cauliflower in food processor. Add milk slowly until you reach your desired consistency {I didn't add much}
3. Stir in butter and season with salt, pepper, garlic salt.
4. Sprinkled with parmesan cheese before serving.

*Makes about four servings. About 75 calories per serving.


This is how mine came out.
I LOVED this, but Jonathan didn't really care for it. But, I didn't care...MORE FOR ME!
I ate the leftovers for lunch and they were awesome!
And the recipe above is just what I did. Add whatever seasonings and cheeses you like!

Zucchini Chile Cheddar Mash
 What you will need:
2-3 medium zucchini, cut in half & sliced
1 small to medium onion, chopped
1 4oz can dice chiles, drained
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup grated low-fat or non-fat Cheddar cheese

What you will do:
1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spray skillet with a non stick spray. Add zucchini and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until very soft & light browned {12-15 minutes}. Stir in chiles and salt and heat through, 1 minute more.
2. Transfer to a medium bowl. Mash with a potato masher or fork until chunky. Stir in cheese and serve immediately.

*Makes 4 servings. Each serving has 126 calories.

I forgot to take a picture of how my zucchini mash came out.
It was super yummy! Cheesy with a little kick to it!

All three of these side dishes were easy, delicious, & low calorie!
Let me know if you try one! Happy Saturday, ya'll! :)

10 comments:

Sunkissed and Southern said...

yum, i want to make all three of these! ive only had sp with pecans & brown sugar or marshmallows. def want to try!

Brooke said...

My grandma just gave me a huge head of cauliflower, and I have no idea what to do with it, so this is perfect. Thank you!

Delta Daisies said...

Thanks for posting these!! I need some low calorie side dishes!

Michelle P said...

These all look so good!

lori said...

all of these look really good!! i have tried the mashed cauliflower myself... it was okay, but i think maybe id do half and half potatoes next time i did it.

Faith said...

i want to make mashed cauliflower so badly ... i have to get on it!

Cristie Young said...

These dishes all look so yummy! Good job V!

Samantha said...

the zucchini dish looks amazing! i might have to try that

Mrs. Pancakes said...

I think these are great and simple sides! Thanks for sharing the recipe:-)

Whitney said...

I've never tried mashed cauliflower before, but the photos have me interested :)