Thursday, February 2, 2012

Sweet potato, black bean, & green chile enchiladas.

Sweet potatoes & enchiladas. Two of my absolute favorite foods.
However; I never thought to combine the two until I found a recipe for sweet potato, black been, & green chile enchiladas. I made this dish about a month ago & I loved it! It's time to make it again!

They were SO good! The flavor of the the sweet potatoes+green chiles+cheese+cumin has heavenly.
I had to tweak the recipe a wee bit & include some meat for my man.
Jonathan has to have his protein, so I added some shredded chicken to the enchiladas.
Chicken or no chicken this an awesome dish.
If you love sweet potatoes & mexican food, you just might want to give this one a try.

Sweet potato, black bean, & green chile enchiladas.
{the following recipe serves six, but I changed amount to serve two & we each had 2 enchiladas}

Here's what you need:
4 medium sweet potatoes
1 {15 ounce} can black beans
1 cup diced green chilies {canned}
1 medium red onion
1/2 tablespoon cumin
About 2 cups salsa verde {I used the Kroger brand}
8 ounces Mexican blend cheese {shredded}
10 flour tortillas 
Salt & pepper
Sour cream {option to garnish}

Here's what you'll do:
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

2. Cook sweet potatoes: peel & dice them. Place in a pot & cover with water. Add a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil & cook until tender. {around 12-15 minutes}

3. Pre the filling: finely chop the red onion. Drain & rinse the black beans.

4. Assemble the filling: In a large bowl combine the cooked sweet potatoes, black beans, red onion, diced chilies, cumin, & chili powder. Mix & add a bit of salt & pepper.

5. Assemble the enchiladas: Warm the tortillas in the microwave for a minute. In a large baking dish spread 1 cup of the salsa verde. Fill each tortilla with a scoop of the filling, add a handful of cheese & roll it up. Place the enchilada seem side down in the dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas. When all the enchiladas are in the dish, top with remaining salsa verde and remaining cheese. 

6. Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes

7. Garnish with sour cream {if you desire} & ENJOY!

This photo comes from the site where I got the recipe: A Couple Cooks.

And this is my photo..
Looks a little messy {I overstuffed them a bit}, but they were SOO good!

I hope you will give this unique dish a try! It a fun & delicious way to spice up your dinner!

17 comments:

Tamara said...

My husband loves sweet potatoes and would love this! I made your Mexican cheesy chicken rice back the other night and it was delicious!

Michelle P said...

Looks good! I made enchiladas last night.

Page Twenty-Two said...

My mouth is watering over these photos! Thanks for posting - I need to try these!!

Rachel said...

OMG VAL! You just made my day. This looks DELISH! I've been looking for a new, healthy(ish) Mexican style dish...of course, you saved the day! Can't wait to make these.

Pamela said...

OH my gosh, Valerie!! This looks delicious!! Thank you for sharing! I will have to try it out sometime!

Elizabeth said...

Those look delicious! I think I saw something similar on Pinterest the other day. I'm going to have to make them soon!

Britt @ The Magnolia Pair said...

Never heard of this combination! Looks really good! Thanks for sharing!

Faith said...

i love enchiladas! this looks amazing! another one to add to the ever growing list :)

Caroline said...

Oooh yummy!

lori said...

yum!! i love ANYTHING with sweet potatoes :)

Leslie said...

My stomach is growling now...these sound AMAZING!!

Jill @ ACharmedLife said...

oh my gosh i am so hungry just looking at this photo. sweet potato anything is always up my alley:)

P!nky said...

Ok, when I first read the the ingredients, I went i don't know. But then looked at the FINAL product and thought yes please! :)

xoxo

Brittany said...

These look delicious! Sweet potatoes & enchiladas sound like a match made in heaven!

stephanie said...

good job girl! looks good! xo

Ashlee said...

This looks amazing! I am so making this!

xo,
ashlee.

Ashlee said...

This looks amazing! I am so making this!

xo,
ashlee.