Monday, March 26, 2012

The Ultimate Wedding Week: The Ceremony.

Today I'm linking up with Natasha for the fourth installment of The Ultimate Wedding Week.
Today's topic is: "The Ceremony".

When I was planning my wedding ceremony the MOST important thing to me was that God was glorified during the entire ceremony. I prayed that the ceremony would be more about Him {Christ} than about us. I wanted every song, every word, every detail be about His goodness and love. Everything for God's glory. Because after all... "we love because He first loved us."

Here a little info about our ceremony:
-We got married on May 7, 2011. That day was also my grandparent's 50th wedding anniversary.

-We were married in the church I grew up in and attended from birth until I left for college. 
My parents were married in the same church.

-Before the ceremony began our attendants sang two of my favorite hymns:
  Come Thou Fount and Jesus Paid It All.

-A dear family friend sang When I Say I do by Matthew West as our grandmothers & mothers were seated.

-My friend & sorority sister {this year's Miss Tennessee} Erin Hatley, sang Feels Like Home To Me by Chantal Kreviazuk as my bridesmaids walked down the aisle.

-A very close friend of our family performed our ceremony. It was so special having him lead us through our vows! 

-At the end of the ceremony we did a foot washing ceremony to symbolize our commitment to serve each other & to serve Christ. In John 13 Christ washes the disciples' feet. He does this to demonstrate His love and show humility and service to others.  Isn't that beautiful?! I'm so glad we did a foot washing ceremony during our wedding. It was perfect. The hymn Blessed Assurance was sung as we washed each other's feet. 

-Then we kissed & were pronounced Mr. & Mrs. Jonathan Griffin! :)

Now here are some pictures from our ceremony!


















Now head on over to Schue Love and check out everyone else's ceremony pictures! And The Ultimate Wedding Week will continue on Wednesday at Hello! Happiness with "The Reception"!

34 comments:

Britt @ The Magnolia Pair said...

Beautiful ceremony! You looked so pretty!

Lauren said...

You made such a beautiful bride!!! :) Your ceremony was gorgeous! :)

xo

Anna said...

This is all so beautiful and wonderful!
-Anna
asweetsouthernmess.blogspot.com

smk053078 said...

I got married in the same church that I grew up in too! And "It Feels Like Home" is one of my most FAVORITE songs ever!! Gorgeous wedding!!
Because Shanna Said So

Jill @ ACharmedLife said...

looks like such a sweet and special celebration! i love the fact that you were married on your grandparents 50th anniversary :) makes it that much more special! im also biased bc may 7th is my bday hehe. beautiful ceremony! XO

Andrea {kerubo mama} said...

That was beautiful! I loved how you purposely made your entire wedding about pointing to Christ. The foot washing was amazing. I'm so happy for you two and your beautiful marriage! xoxo

Laura said...

very pretty! Our anniversaries are just right around the corner :)

Kim said...

I love the foot washing... we considered doing that, too. It sure made for some gorgeous pictures!

Meghan @ More from Meg said...

Absolutely beautiful! I love every detail! :)

LEA said...

Come Thou Fount is one of my favorites too!! I love the idea of the foot washing ceremony! I've never seen that before! Love that you incorporated something so special into your ceremony!

Faith said...

so beautiful! absolutely love the pictures from your ceremony!

Sarah said...

Everything sounds so perfect!

tara said...

You were such a beautiful bride!

Mr. Taylor and his Lady said...

umm, you got married on your grandparent's 50 wedding anniversary!??! cutest thing in the entire world! now why didn't i think of that? :)
xo TJ

Caroline said...

Absolutely gorgeous!

Amanda said...

SO BEAUTIFUL! :) we did foot washing as well for the same reason.. it was my favorite part of the ceremony, it was perfect! Love your pictures, you're gorgeous!

xo

Katie said...

I love the feet washing idea. So beautiful and Christ-centered!

Brittany said...

These are all SO beautiful! I love the black and white ones. Just can't get enough of your gorgeous dress!

Sam [The Peak of Tres Chic] said...

What a beautiful, Christ-glorifying ceremony! You looked beautiful. Thank you for sharing all your wonderful pictures with us! :)

Allyson said...

What a beautiful ceremony. I love all the personal touches!

Allyson
http://cupcakescandycanes.blogspot.com

Kelly Ginn said...

So tiny! you beautiful thing you! You can tell J was so surprised! He really loves you, you can tell!

Kristen said...

So beautiful! I have a friend who did the foot washing and thought it was such a great symbol!

Meg Cady said...

I am just in love with your ceremony! What a great God Honoring ceremony!!!

xo

Meg Cady said...

I am just in love with your ceremony! What a great God Honoring ceremony!!!

xo

Jillian @ Newlywed in Nashville said...

love that you guys did washing of the feet, that is so precious! your dress is so gorgeous too, love the long train in the back!

Kristin said...

LOVE!! How many groomsman did he have?

Katie said...

Girl, I cannot get over how beautiful you are! Your ceremony sounds and looks perfect.

Courtney said...

That looks like such an amazing ceremony. I love that you got married on your grandparents anniversary. Would it be totally creepy if I show my hair dresser a picture of you for my wedding day hair inspiration? I love it!

AModernSuburbanitesLife.com said...

your dress was amazing. you are gorgeous Val!

July said...

I loved your dress! you looked stunning! Feels Like Home is one of my all time favorite songs - I always tear up when I hear it!

SilhouetteParisienne said...

I love your dress

Janna Renee said...

I just knew your ceremony was going to be gorgeous...That ring bearer outfit? PRICELESS! The foot washing was so touching...

Megan {Tales of an HBS Wife} said...

Your dress was just stunning! I always think the washing of the feet ritual is so touching and sweet.

Tiffany said...

I love the way you centered your wedding around Christ. So amazing....