Tuesday, April 10, 2012

San Diego: Day 1

Happy Tuesday, y'all! 

I want to say a quick thanks for your comments & emails about the loss of my great-grandmother. Y'all don't know much they mean to me! I'm very thankful for such great blog friends! Y'all are so sweet!

Now for today's post! I'm so excited to show you some of my San Diego pictures!

Here's a little background info: Mackenzie & her husband{who is in the Navy} actually live in San Diego, but she has come home to Tennessee while he is out on deployment. His leave was extended so Mac needed to go back to Cali to check on their cars and their apartment & to sign their lease. I was so happy she asked me to go with her & we made a fun little trip of it! 

We had to be at the airport at 6 am on Tuesday morning, so Mac spent the night with us on Monday.
Tuesday was also Mackenzie's 26th birthday, so I surprised her that morning 
with a birthday muffin & some goodies. Then we were off to the airport!

 We had one quick layover in Salt Lake city and then we arrived in San Diego at noon.

Just arriving in San Diego!

So happy to be there!

Ready for a few days of fun in beautiful San Diego :)

We were starving when we arrived, so we stopped at Rubio's for lunch.
I LOVE their fish tacos! 

After lunch, we started working on Mac's errand list!

We checked both cars. One had a flat tire & the other was dead.
We were kind of bummed at first & not sure we would figure out how to fix them....
But thankfully Mac was able to put some air in the tire until we could get it fixed
 & I called Jonathan, who walked me through how to jump start the car!
 Our husbands were so very proud of us. & we were pretty proud of us too ;)

That night we got ready & headed downtown for Mac's birthday dinner!

We decided to go to The Strip Club for dinner. 
We went there last time I was in San Diego and we loved it! 
{And no, it's not a real strip club! No naked people, I promise ;)}

 The beautiful birthday girl!

What is so awesome about The Strip Club is you get to grill your own dinner!
We got their kabobs: one steak, one shrimp, & one veggie!
They also give you salad & bread. And we ordered a side of their yummy mashed potatoes!

Mac at the grill!

Having so much fun making dinner!

Grill masters ;)

The finished product! Amazing! We did a good job ;)

It was the perfect birthday dinner!

Next we headed to Extraordinary Desserts for something sweet!

I'd seen Extraordinary Desserts on the show "Best Thing I Ever Ate" on the Food Network and I knew we had to check it out while we were there. Y'all...it was AMAZING! I can't even tell you how much we loved this place. So cute and cozy. Yummy coffee & the most delicious and beautiful desserts!

Delicious coffees!

Mackenzie ordered their strawberry shortcake.

And I got their chocolate tiramisu.

We shared both desserts & they were AMAZING!
We just about ate every bite!

The aftermath! haha

A before & after shot! We demolished them!

Stop by again soon to see Day 2 of our trip!
Have a wonderful day!

47 comments:

Leslie said...

Sounds like yall had a great start to your trip! That food looks so yummy!

Caroline said...

Fun! :)

Page Twenty-Two said...

Those places look like so much fun!! Good for you guys for putting air in the tires and jump starting the car! I would have panicked! haha

Amanda said...

Looks and sounds like your trip was wonderful!! :) Can't wait to see more! Have an awesome day.
xo

Faith said...

SO fun! I love the pictures. Looks like the both of you had an incredible time!

And the food, get in my belly. Those fish tacos and the desert look incredible!

And you are gorgeous!

Welcome back lady!

Tiffany said...

San Diego is my favorite city in California, and that is saying a lot because I love my state! Looks like you guys had a great start to your trip!

Tamara @ T {times} Three said...

Oh my gosh, your dessert looks like heaven on a plate!

Jessica @ Lovely Little Things said...

Looks like a fun trip :)
I can't believe you two got the cars going - that's awesome lol!

And those desserts look SO amazing! I don't blame you for eating almost every bite!

Happy Tuesday!
xo

Pamela said...

Oh my gosh! All of the food looks SO good!!

Megan @ Tales of an HBS Wife said...

looks like so much fun! I am loving your striped shirt at the airport!

Sarah Hope Dickert said...

Extraordinary Desserts is one of my favorites. :)

Meghan @ More from Meg said...

Sounds like so much fun!!!

Anna said...

Valerie-
So sorry to hear about your great-grandma. The picture with her is priceless. looking at the other pictures, she obviously was surrounded by loving family. :)
ps. Those desserts look SO incredible!

Amira said...

Yay! You were in my neck of the woods! I can't wait to read all about the rest of your trip :-)

Amanda said...

It looks like you all had a blast so far! I can't wait for more recaps!

Shayna said...

That's so awesome that you got to go with her to do all of that! A perfect excuse for a get away! Looks like y'all had a lot of fun! Can't wait to see more!

Kristin said...

How fun! San Diego is so fun, you picked a gorgeous weekend to go too

Courtney said...

Looks like so much fun! I have California is one place I have never been! I want to go so bad!

Allyson Butler said...

That looks so fun! I have always wanted to go to California - can't wait to read about the rest of your trip.

Allyson
http://cupcakescandycanes.blogspot.com

Sarah said...

Looks like a wonderful first day! I LOVE The Strip Club!

lori said...

looks like a good trip with some yummy food! good for ya'll for fixing the cars!!

Erin said...

I'm DYING over that strawberry shortcake lol! YUM!!!!!

THE COOK'S said...

New follower!!! You are adorable! And that trip to San Diego looked yummy! Ha. You are such a sweet friend for going to SD with your friend. :)) Your blog is so cute and I'm excited to keep reading! :)

natasha {schue love} said...

Sounds like a great weekend...I love SD! And that dessert looks deliriously good!

Emily said...

I am SO jealous! I used to make weekly trips to Extraordinary Desserts when I lived in SD! That place is amazing!!

So sorry to hear about your great grandmother. Sending prayers your way.

Jill @ ACharmedLife said...

what a fun first day :) love that black dress on you!! looking forward to reading more about your trip- xo!

his little Lady said...

okay, these pictures are all too great!!
it really makes me wish i was in san diego with you gals.
and all this food is making me hungry!!
xo TJ

Emma Litton said...

Great photos! You're super cute!

xo,
Em

Allison said...

Sounds like a fun trip so far! Your black dress is just adorable and that restaurant looks amazing! :)

Ashley said...

Yall look like you had a blast! Fish tacos are my favorite- on a future trip to San Diego I need to remember that place!

McKenzie said...

Looks like you had a blast! and thanks for clearing it up that the strip club had no naked people! haha I was a little worried for you :)

Rachel said...

I have so loved looking at your pics on Facebook...I know y'all had SUCH a blast! And you are just gorgeous, girl. So pretty! Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip!

I'm a little behind on blog reading but just read your post about your great g-ma...so sorry for your loss, sweet girl. It's so hard to lose loved ones, and I'm sure it was rough on you, not being there with your family. Glad you got home okay, though. I'll keep you and your fam in my prayers!

Rachel said...

Ahhh just the first day and it looks like you had a blast! That's awesome that you were able to fix the car! You go girl :)

Andrea Dickherber said...

Props to you guys for jumping the car! I've had to help my hubs do that before, and every time he teaches me I KNOW I'm going to forget how to do it before I ever need to try it on my own.
It looks like you had a beautiful first day of the trip! Yum to those desserts!

Andrea
Left brain, right brain, pug brain.

Meg {henninglove} said...

your dinner and desserts look amazing. i will have to check out that place next time i am in san diego. and what a fun girls trip you two took! and congrats on jumping a car, always an essential thing to know

Amy {Fresh and Fancy} said...

Looks like ya'll had a blast! love your dress!

Danielle said...

You girls are GORGEOUS!!!

Val said...

Love the pictures and I love San Diego, too.

My Daily Journey to Share said...

Looks like so much fun! Love the cute outfits! Erica

Kelly Ginn said...

Looks like SO MUCH FUN!!! Now I want to go!

Robin said...

Looks like an amazing trip so far! That restaurant looks so fun!! I wish we had something like that here on the East Coast (or at least in central new york...where there are not many exciting things at all!) I absolutely adore your blog and am so excited to read more! :)

Ariane said...

It looks like Mackenzie had a fabulous birthday! Girls' trips are so much fun! :)

Crissy B. said...

All these pictures are so cute! And I must say, that is the most amazing strawberry shortcake I have ever seen!!

Haley said...

Looks like so much fun! And you are so dang cute!!

Celeste said...

Get em girl - fixing cars! Your hubbies should be very proud!

Tiffany said...

Way to go on fixing a flat and jumping a car off!!!

Emily said...

Extraordinary Desserts 2 days in a row! I am SO jealous!

I tagged you in a question game if you have time, I'd love to hear your answers!