Thursday, January 24, 2013

Birthing Classes

I've gotten lots of comments asking if I thought the birthing class we went to last week was worth it. 
So, let me tell you what I thought :)

When I entered my third trimester, I started getting nervous. Nervous about childbirth. Nervous about doing everything right when the baby arrives. Nervous about breastfeeding.

This is my first baby, so being nervous is very common I'm sure.
So, I decided to calm my nerves I would be as prepared for the arrival of our baby boy as I could.

There is a lady at our church who is a baby nurse. For weeks, every time I saw her she would ask me if I've registered for classes yet. I told her no..there was so many options. Which ones do I need to take?
Her answer: ALL OF THEM.

I always figured we would take birthing classes, but then after talking with her I was positive we should.

I signed us up for 3 classes. 
1. A childbirth class.
2. An expectant parents class.
3. A breastfeeding class.

Last Saturday, we went to our first class: Childbirth.

Y'all, I learned SO much.

Here are just a few of the many topics we covered:
 process of labor
terminology/anatomy
pain management
c-sections
epidurals
induction of labor
pushing positions
what to pack in your hospital bag

We also got a tour of the hospital which was AWESOME!
I feel much better knowing where everything is & seeing what the rooms I'll be in look like.

& yes, we watched THE video.
Was it bad? Yes & no.
It was gross. I felt a little overwhelmed. 
BUT, I'm so glad I watched it. Now, I know what to expect. I CAN DO IT! :)

I have to say after our first class, I am SO happy we went.
We learned so much and had a blast.
I have a better understanding of childbirth. I feel much more prepared!

We have another class this Saturday. The "Expectant Parents" class.
This class will be about infant care, safety, CPR, & surviving the first few weeks.
I'm really looking forward to it.

Then, our last one is in February. The breastfeeding class.
I'm really ready for this one, because I know ZERO about breastfeeding.

So, do I think the birthing classes are worth it?
ABSOLUTELY. If you are expecting and you can go, do it! You will leave feeling much more prepared and ready! & it's fun too :) The hubs & I had a blast!

13 comments:

Britt @ The Magnolia Pair said...

We can't wait to go to ours! We're signed up for 5 (hubby is a but overwhelmed by the amount of classes), and I'm so ready to go to them :) Glad y'all had so much fun!!

Meg Cady said...

On the topic of breastfeeding Julie @ Girl in the Red Shoes is doing a Breastfeeding Diary series, and even though I am not having a kid ANYTIME soon it was interesting to read. I have sent a link to several of my friends who are having babies if you havent check it out I would recommend it!

http://www.girlintheredshoes.com/

Happy Thursday!

Kate Kubler said...

I never took any classes and just totally winged it. Looking back, it might have helped to take some, but I think I made it alright! Glad you enjoyed them:)

Could you email me your address... I might have a little something for M:)

wHiT | Black Little Button blog said...

oh my I never realized how many classes are available...we are in for it whenever we have kids. :)
-wHiT

{Jessica} said...

We are definitely planning on signing up for the breastfeeding and infant CPR classes. Still on the fence about the childbirth one - but after reading your thoughts on it, just may go ahead and do that one too! And yes, you are right: You CAN do it! You will do great. I will be just a couple of months behind you, so will be counting on you to keep me updated!

LEA said...

You can do it!!! I always prepare for the worst, so I was pleasantly surprised.
We didn't take any classes I just did a LOT of research on my own.
If you need anything or have questions, don't hesitate to ask!!!
You are so close!!

Katie said...

I'm 29 weeks and we start all of our classes in a few weeks...we're doing the same 3. I'm so excited to start them...especially after hearing how much you got out of them :)

Tiffany @ Austin Family Diary said...

You inspired me to talk to the doc tomorrow at my appt. Hopefully we'll be able to get scheduled for a few. Glad to hear they were so helpful!

Caroline said...

I wish we had signed up for the new parent class. So much happens!

Brittany said...

So glad you learned a lot! You sound very prepared, little lady :). I didn't learn too much in the breastfeeding class...not as much as the others...I really think it's more of a 'live and learn' experience. But I didn't know anything going into it either and it's amazing how Baby just knows what to do! I know you'll get it down quickly!

Sara Cate said...

Glad to hear the first class was a success! Our classes are coming up in February.

Mateya said...

Glad you enjoyed them. We did the same 3 classes and I'm so glad we did. The breastfeeding one was definitely the most helpful I think, because like you, I had zero knowledge of it beforehand. We've had 8 months of successful breastfeeding and I really think the class was a lot of the reason why!

Talia Jacole said...

Kudos for being so prepared!! Your recap is so cute, what a fun way to document your pregnancy. I craved ice cream like crazy every day!

Enjoy your evening!

♥ Talia
http://rubytiaradiaries.blogspot.com