Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Fig Tree Withers

In Matthew 21:18-22, Jesus is hungry & he walks by a fig tree. This tree was bear. Nothing, but leaves.
Jesus said to the tree: "May you never bear fruit again." The tree died immediately.

This amazed the disciples.
They asked Jesus, "How did you do that SO fast?"

Jesus's reply:
"I tell you, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea', and it will be done. If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer."

What a powerful message, huh?!

You see, I am a planner. & a worrier. & I worry that things aren't going to go as I plan them.
It drives my husband (who is the most carefree person in the world) crazy, but I can't help it.

Since, I've been pregnant. The planning and worrying has gone to a new level. 

This life inside of me consumes the majority of thoughts now-a-days. 
I love him in a way I never knew I could love. He is my most precious. He is my baby.

So, naturally, I worry. 

Is he healthy? Is he growing like he should be? He hasn't kicked in 10 minutes, is he okay? Should I have drank that cup of coffee this morning? SO many things. Most of them very silly. But alas, I am a worrier.

And then the planning...OH, the planning. So, much to be done before AND after baby arrives.

So, lets go back to these verses above...

They reminded me of the importance of giving this life in my belly COMPLETELY to Him.
Now, soon as I found out I was pregnant I prayed and told God this pregnancy is His.

But, did I really give it all to Him?
 I'm not so sure. But, I know it's vital. 

These verses were a wonderful reminder that I need to stop being a worrier, a planner, & a control freak and just give everything to God. To have FAITH that He is going to take care of this precious gift He has given to me. That I should always remember that with prayer & faith God can do great things in your life.

I know God is in control & that He already has a plan for Miller. :)

8 comments:

{Jessica} said...

You have NO idea how much I needed to read this today. I am just like you - the worst worrier I know. And pregnancy has definitely made it worse. I seem to have a never ending list of worries these days. In fact, I've spent the entire morning today worrying about insurance benefits and trying to figure out my policy information for the labor and delivery - which is enough to make anyone's blood pressure skyrocket! Reading this today reminded me that no matter what challenges we are facing (or think we are facing - I know I create my own worries sometimes out of nothing), God is always bigger and always in control. I just have to keep reminding myself to give it up to Him. For my son, if nothing else. After all, all the worrying can't be good for our little men! Thank you so much for this, Valerie!

Kate Kubler said...

hahaha, i don't mean to laugh, but wait until the baby comes! The worry and planning takes a whole new level. I am the same exact way. Every single day I have to start the day off giving Canaan over to the Lord. Canaan is not mine, he is the Lords. I am only the vessel the Lord is using to help shape him to look more like Jesus.

Motherhood is the best experience ever. You will not believe how much the Lord is going to use it to reveal your selfishness. This is the first of many refining moments on your character that are going to come your way! Each time, just give it all back to Jesus:)

Katie said...

Such a great reminder. I'm having our first baby in April and just thinking about labor and all the things that COULD go wrong are enough to drive me crazy. I need to remember He is in control and I'm not and it's better that way!

Anonymous said...

I used to be reсommеndеd this blοg thгough my сouѕin.
I am noω not certаin whether thіs publish is written via him as nоboԁy
elѕe κnow such targeted about mу diffiсulty.
Yοu're wonderful! Thank you!
Look at my website ... loans for bad credit

Katie {Miss Dixie} said...

This was such a good post for me to read yesterday, I went back and read it again this morning! Right there with you on the worrying. This week was at an all time high. It's hard to take a step back and trust in God when you are busy worrying, rehearsing scenarios in your mind. Thanks for the post!

Leslie said...

What a great reminder! I am a worrier and planner too and I worry about the same things every day...and I just know it will get worse once Connor is born. Thanks for posting this!

Lauren said...

Speaking from the perspective of someone who had the worst in this situation happen, all you can do it trust Him. His plan, purpose, and (above all) love surpasses everything. I hate that you are struggling through this, but once you let it go to Him it will all be well-even if it's not how you planned it!

Mrs. Kee said...

I found your blog through Jessica at The Newly and I really love this post. I'm a worrier too and it constantly gets hold of me and overwhelms me. I'm trying to work on praying whenever I worry, even about the tiniest thing and even if it means hundreds of prayers in one day. Also, I've started reading Jesus Calling and it's a wonderful book. I really love the one on one intimacy it feels like I'm getting with the Lord and it helps remind me to bring my worries to Him. I still worry a ton but I'm working on it :)