Monday, April 29, 2013

Miller's Birth Story Part Three

The next morning {Thursday} the pediatrician came in to check Miller. He told us Miller's blood type was A+ and mine was O+. Apparently O+ is a bully. There was a chance that my blood cells were attacking Miller's. The pediatrician told us not to worry, they just need to do some blood work to find out. We found out a little later my cells weren't attacking Miller thank goodness, but he was still a little jaundice. This was something the doctor wanted to keep an eye on.

The OB also came in to check on me. I was told I was doing good, but since I was a first time mom he wanted me to stay one another night (Later we would find out we'd have to stay another). I was completely fine with staying another night. I was still in a lot of pain.  I thought why not stay and let people take care of me as long as possible! Plus, since I was a nervous first time mom I felt better having nurses to help us with Miller.

Friends and family came and went all day on Thursday. We really enjoyed seeing everyone and it made our hospital stay go by faster. Mostly, it was just our immediate family that came. Parents and siblings. Jonathan's grandparents also came by to meet Miller! We were so glad they were able to come to the hospital to see him!







Even though we loved having visitors, I also enjoyed the parts of the day that were just the three of us.






That night I was beyond exhausted. I have never been so tired in my life. I could barely even keep my eyes open to feed Miller. Jonathan convinced me to let the nurse take Miller to the nursery that night and I'm so glad he did. We slept for four hours straight and it was heaven. But, after that I wanted my baby back! Miller spent the rest of the night in there with us and all three of us actually were able to sleep.

The next day {Friday} we felt better. Yay for sleep! 
We had some family come visit us that morning and some of my sweet blog friends came to meet M too!

Katie & Nicole  came to bring us some breakfast and see the little man.
Thanks so for coming, girls :) Y'all are too sweet! 

Now here is where the problem started...

That morning the nurse came in and noticed Miller hadn't peed in a long time...like almost 20 hours long. The pediatrician came in and told us if he didn't pee in 24 hours we would have to give him formula. At first this really upset me. I felt like something was wrong with my milk. That I wasn't able to provide for my baby. Eventually, I got over it. I decided the most important thing was Miller's health and I would do whatever was best for him. Even if that meant giving him some formula.

The rest of the day we spent loving on our little man, enjoying our visitors company, and waiting to see if Miller would pee.







That afternoon I was discharged, but Miller wasn't. Poor baby still hadn't peed. They moved us from the mommy/baby floor to a room on the pediatrics floor. The doctor thought maybe Miller wasn't nursing correctly so he had the lactation consultant came in to watch me nurse. She said he was latching on great and didn't see any problem. But she taught me a new position (the football hold) to see if it might work better for us.

A couple of hours later the pediatrician came back in. He said since it had been over 24 hours since M peed we needed to do something. He wanted to give Miller a catheter to see if there was any urine in his bladder. Hopefully there was, but if there wasn't that could mean an issue with his kidneys. I hated that they had to do a catheter, but I knew the doctor knew best. Thank goodness, they found some urine!

It was time for a new plan...

The rest of the day we had to save every diaper, so the nurse could measure it and see if there was any pee, not matter how tiny the amount was. All night we gave her diaper after diaper. No pee :( Until finally in the middle of the night we checked Miller's diaper and he peed all over us! Yayyyyy! Who knew I would ever be so happy to be peed on! I felt so relieved! We never really found out why it took him so long to pee. Maybe my milk hadn't come in yet, maybe it was something else. I think it might have something to do with his circumcision. He was probably in too much pain! No matter the reason, we were so happy he was okay!

Mid morning on Saturday the doctor came in and told us we could go home. We just needed to go to our pediatrician on Monday to check his feeding and jaundice. 

We were finally able to take our little boy home. :)





And there it is...the story of my sweet Miller's birth. 

These first three days of his life, while a little nerve-racking at times, were three of the best days of my life. I praise God for an easy birth and a healthy baby. The joy of finally meeting my first child, my precious son, was more amazing than I ever thought possible. His entrance into this world has been the biggest blessing of my life. I will always look back at his birth and remember the overwhelming love I felt when I met him.

And I love him even more now than I did then. 

17 comments:

Katie {Miss Dixie} said...

I'm sure you were scared waiting for that! Now we mommys know the little things like that are scary! So happy he's here and healthy!

KRISTIN said...

I bet that was so scary but thank goodness everything was alright! Kenley had that same Ralph Lauren outfit! She had it in navy & pink...so cute and so comfy! :)

Jessica Miller Kelley said...

I feel your pain on the episiotomy recovery. I had a third degree with my first baby and I was so afraid to go to the bathroom! And how scary to be worried about Miller's kidneys!

Even with the pain and worry, you're making me eager to get a jump on our third!! I love pregnancy and babies, but need to wait until next year!

{Jessica} said...

So glad to hear that everything was alright with your little guy - I wondered why y'all had to be at the hospital for 3 days when I read your post about Miller's arrival. I was SO hoping that you were able to avoid a c-section, as I feel like you and I have had similar pregnancies and we were both hoping to avoid c-sections. I am pretty sure that we will be having a big baby as well (runs in the family), and I really appreciated your honesty about the episiotomy because I may be facing one of those as well...And, I won't lie: It scares me!

Miller is just TOO adorable - loving the outfits you had for him! The photos of him are priceless - I love the ones your sister was able to capture. The looks on both yours and Jonathan's faces as you see your son for the first time are so, so precious! Thank you for sharing Miller's story Valerie:)

Kaleigh said...

Ah!!! He's so so cute

Kerrie Williams said...

I've seriously loved reading through these posts! "I've never been so happy to be peed on" made me laugh. I'm so glad everything turned out ok :) Congratulations again Valerie!

Delta Daisies said...

ahhhh! I love it!

Carolyn said...

YAY! :) I'm so glad he peed all over you! :) (words you would never think to say! HAHA)

He's so cute! I LOVE that last outfit!

Rachel said...

i just love hearing about this...makes me so happy to hear his birth story, especially since L&D is what I do and since I love it as much as I do! I'm so glad your experience was overall pretty wonderful. So glad Miller is doing well. How is nursing going now? I know you are just the best mama out there. So proud of you, sweet friend! You are amazing!

The Not Quite Military Wife said...

That must have been so stressful for you both! So glad to hear that he is okay. He has such a sweet little face!

Lauren said...

So glad Baby Miller is healthy and HOME! So scary, I am sure.

Katie said...

Oh my you have to share where you got all of miller's clothes and your chevron nursing pillow. Everything is so adorable!

Nicole said...

This just makes me smile and giggle and want to squeeze M again!! It was such a JOY to be there and your birth story makes my heart warm. Your sweet boy is HERE!!!

Allison said...

I love that you were excited about being peed on. Haha. What a story!

Kaity said...

my mom and brother got held up in the hospital for an extra day or two because he also wouldn't pee! I don't really remember what happened (I was three at the time), but I think they ended up putting him in a sink-thing and running water until he peed? or maybe I just imagined that? anyway, glad to hear that little Miller is happy and healthy and that you're all doing well. :)

lori said...

aw poor little man! I wouldn't turn away a couple extra days in the hospital either, especially to make sure your baby is ready to come home!!

Caley-Jade Rosenberg said...

So glad all was ok and your little man is so happy and healthy. The first few days are always the most challenging and overwhelming but also the best few days with your new bundle x