Friday, April 26, 2013

Miller's Birth Story Part Two

 It was time. Time to become a mom. Time to meet my son.

I had two people in the room with me during the birth. Jonathan, of course, and my little sister. I asked my sister to be in the room with us so that she could take pictures and I'm so glad I did. I am so thankful to have pictures of the birth. My sister is definitely no photographer, but she did an awesome job :)

 I started pushing around 1:00 p.m. Jonathan had one leg and my nurse had the other. I was told during every contraction I need to hold my breath, put my chin to my chest, and push for ten seconds three times. Y'all, I hated this! It didn't hurt because I was completely numb, but having to hold my breath and push was pretty miserable. And since I was numb, I wasn't even sure I was making progress. I just did the best I could, thankfully my body knew what to do because I couldn't feel a thing.

I pushed for about 10 minutes then the nurse told me to stop so she could call my doctor in. About five minutes later my doctor arrived and it was time to push again. 

Jonathan was the best cheerleader during the pushing. He was very encouraging, but didn't talk so much that I was annoyed...haha. He just rubbed my head and told me what a great job I was doing.



So, after pushing for a total of about 30 minutes, our Miller man entered the world. 







It was so amazing to finally get to see the little one who lived inside of me for nine months. I just stared at him in awe. I couldn't believe I made him. Jonathan & I did. He was ours. I kept thinking how beautiful he was. My sweet boy.

The doctors, nurses, and Jonathan kept commenting on how big he was. 
I didn't really think he looked big. He looked pretty tiny to me...until I saw how much he weighed!

9 pounds and 5 ounces. My BIG baby boy!

It amazed me that I pushed such a big baby out of me and felt no pain...thank goodness for epidurals ;)

The next twenty minutes or so were spent staring at and holding our boy. We were so in love already.









Soon after I nursed him for the first time. He latched on great and seemed to be eating well.
 I was amazed that he knew what to do right away.

After I fed him we let our family and friends come in to see us and meet Miller. Everyone was so happy to see him. That baby was so loved from the very beginning.

After two hours they moved us from our room on the labor and the delivery floor to a new room on the mother/baby floor. Family and friends came and went right up until visiting hours were over at 9:00 p.m. It was so great to see all our loved ones and show off our baby boy!















Then it was just the three of us. Our little family. 
Jonathan and I just held Miller and talked about how that day was the best day of our lives. 

That night was long and didn't involve much sleep. We could have let Miller go to the nursery so that we could rest, but I said no. I wanted him with us. I didn't want our brand new baby spending his first night on this earth away from his mommy and daddy. So he stayed with us all night. We tried to sleep, but we woke up at every sound Miller made. I was so paranoid something would happen to him!

During the evening my epidural had worn off and I was in a lot of pain "down there" where my stitches were. Yes, I had to get stitches because I had to have an episiotomy. I didn't feel any pain when she cut me during the birth because I was so numb, but ooooh how I felt it afterwards. This pain was awful! Definitely the worst part of the birth experience. I couldn't even walk/or sit on the toilet without Jonathan's help. It was so miserable. So, needless to say between the pain and worrying about our new baby we barely slept at all the first night.

Morning finally came and we waited to find out if we'd be leaving that day or next. Little did we know we would have to stay a little longer than we expected. Four days/three nights to be be exact.

Part Three of his birth story will tell you why.

23 comments:

Katie {Miss Dixie} said...

Ohh the suspense! I am amazed at how easy it looked so far!!

Carolyn said...

He's so cute! :) And definitely a BIG boy! :)

Pamela said...

Oh Valerie. This is THE sweetest thing ever. Absolutely gorgeous pictures! The love between you & Jonathan is so obvious! You looked great the entire time!

Cassie Marshall said...

This is beautiful. It brought tears to my eyes. So special for you two, congrats!

lori said...

valerie, you did SO great... only pushing for 30 mins?! i am praying i have the same experience... but sorry for the pain afterwards... i've heard similiar things from friends. can't wait to read part 3!

Lindsay said...

Such a sweet story! It's great that you have so many pictures! Can't wait to read the rest!

Kaity said...

Ooh what a cliffhanger! Loving reading your birth story, Mama :)

Delta Daisies said...

I love this!!! He is such a big boy!

Becca Moss said...

He was a big baby! Goodness. Can't wait to hear why you had to stay so long afterwards! I ended up having to stay a total of five days due to retaining water. But, I had toxemia and had to be induced in the first place.

Jessica said...

You did such a good job little mama! Loved reading Miller's birth story so far. And now I'm super curious about the rest!

Whitney of Washington said...

Congratulations! What a precious moment to share with your husband and sister. And a beautiful blessing of a baby boy!

Kristen said...

Sounds like you did a great job Valerie! :) I love the pics!

Chelsea L said...

Your story is beautiful. The pictures you have are fantastic! I can't wait to hear the rest :)

The Not Quite Military Wife said...

Aw I love it, cannot wait for the rest!

Amanda said...

You look beautiful :) this is precious!! What an amazing blessing!

Suzanne said...

You look gorgeous! Definitely not like you just had a baby. He's beautiful, by the way. :)

Rorie said...

Amazing!! You look so beautiful!!! Our baby is looking to be about the same size when he delivers in 3 weeks (did he fit into any new born clothes at all?)
Also where did you get the boppy cover?!

Allison said...

Your sister did a great job! Great pictures!

KRISTIN said...

I thought after I had my baby I'd be able to get through a birth story without tearing up...I WAS WRONG! What a gorgeous little man you have! AND, I am with you on that post-epidural pain. It sneaks up on you doesn't it? I had to have an episiotomy and I tore so I had stitches in two places and it was AWFUL!

Laurie @ The Rookie Wife said...

a 9 pound baby?! No wonder you needed to be stitched. It's pretty amazing actually that you didn't have to have a c-section! Only pushing for 30 minutes is great too. I hope Savanna lets me off that easy. Love all the pictures!

Courtney Kassner said...

Such a beautiful post! I'm glad you said you liked having someone there to take pictures. I've been debating whether or not to do so. And I'm definitely not looking forward to that "after-birth" pain. Ouch.

Lauren {at} Life.Love.Lauren said...

You are just so beautiful!

Caley-Jade Rosenberg said...

I am so proud of you mama - cant believe how big he was!! Gorgeous little Miller x